What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

84. 1 1/8" long


86. 2" dia.


88. 1 1/8" tall (long)



  • Wedge - use with wooden wedge to install handle in hammer, hatchet or axe.

    By Blogger gnathos, at 8/16/2004 10:24 AM  

  • Yes, it's a wedge for a tool handle.


    By Blogger Rob, at 8/17/2004 4:40 PM  

  • 85 is a marking gage http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/
    this page shows a stanley #94, this is s 95 which is similar. Used for scribing lines in wood, this is for marking for mortising hinges.

    By Blogger brad, at 8/27/2004 11:23 PM  

  • Brad:
    Correct on number 85, it's a marking gauge.


    By Blogger Rob, at 8/28/2004 5:33 PM  

  • 84 is a gaming piece of considerable age. My grandfather had one and it was for a game called 'Put and Take'. You spun it like a top and when it fell over you had to obey the instruction of the face which was uppermost, usually told you how many of the item being gamble for you should take out of, or put into, the pot in the middle. Usually was matchsticks or low denomination coins, and was often a recreational thing used on occasions such as long train journeys.

    By Blogger calluna, at 8/29/2004 7:21 AM  

  • The Page is great That top looks like it was in the river bed a long time. I have a wood Top very old that a friend found in an antique shop. I got your Nut& Key puzzle Yesterday. very nice.
    Thank you Rocky

    By Anonymous Rocky Chiaro, at 4/29/2005 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home