What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

242. 1" cube

243. 5 1/2" long, fully closed in the bottom photo

244. 2 1/4" diameter


246. Someone looking to ID this antique sent in some photos, 39" high, 8" wide.

More pictures of this one

247. 7" long



  • 242. A tool for rotating pistons on disc brake calipers (cars, usually rears) that incorporate emergency brake assys. into the calipers. The square holes are for a 3/8" ratchet & each side of the cube is for a different type of piston.

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 1/12/2005 7:12 AM  

  • >242. A tool for rotating pistons...


    By Blogger Rob, at 1/12/2005 3:32 PM  

  • 247 - A Boothook

    By Blogger Canem, at 1/12/2005 7:44 PM  

  • 247 - A boot hook for pulling on leather boots.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2005 7:57 PM  

  • 246
    Portable oil painters kit for going out in the country. Drawers for paint tubes and pallet goes in storage area under top. Canvas can be propped against tall supports.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2005 12:22 AM  

  • >A Boothook
    >247 - A boot hook for pulling on leather boots.

    Both correct, it's a boot puller.

    >246 Portable oil painters kit...

    Most popular guess so far, the owner of it has these thoughts concerning this idea:

    "It's not an easel because if you look at the top the two pieces of wood cross like a teepee and they are fixed, not adjustable. Also, there is no evidence of paint or oils in or on the box."

    So it's probably something else but I suppose it could still be an easel, though a poorly designed one.

    By Blogger Rob, at 1/13/2005 12:44 PM  

  • 238 is a can opener issued with K or M? rations. I used them in 67-68 in army. All the meat, fruit, desert, etc., came in small tin cans. The small hole allows hanging on chain with dog tags. The notch goes over the rim of the can and the cutting edge is turned in, twisted out, moved 1/4" or so on the rim, turned again, etc.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2005 12:50 PM  

  • #243 is another typewriter technician's tool. It is for aligning (bending) the type bars.

    By Blogger Roscoe, at 1/14/2005 2:54 PM  

  • #245 is an ind-on view of an architects scaled ruler.

    By Blogger Roscoe, at 1/14/2005 2:56 PM  

  • 244. weight for a balance scale

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2005 7:58 PM  

  • >238 is a can opener issued with K or M? rations...


    >#243 is another typewriter technician's tool...

    Still looking into this idea, know of any web sites that could verify it?

    >#245 is an end-on view of an architects scaled ruler.


    >244. weight for a balance scale

    Probably, haven't been able to confirm where it came from.

    By Blogger Rob, at 1/16/2005 4:22 PM  

  • I tried to find a link to show some typewriter tech's tools but I couldn't. I can tell you I used to be a typewriter tech and I still have all my old benders and peeners and type soldering tools. I have nearly identical tools to #243 and #237. It's possible they were manufactured for multiple uses but they were certainly a part of our tool kit when I worked for Olivetti in the 80's.

    By Blogger Roscoe, at 1/17/2005 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home