What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

466. 12-1/2" long

467. 5-1/2" tall

468. 5-1/4" long

The remaining photos in this set were sent to me by people hoping to learn the identity of the items.


470. 48" long, patented in 1903

471. 5" diameter

With faceplate removed, see previous photo bottom right.



  • 466. Don't know it's proper name, used to make the flats on hand hewn beams.
    468. tool to hold a tip on a cue stick until the glue dries. Modern "super" type glues have outdated this tool.

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 9/29/2005 5:35 AM  

  • 467 is an electric metronome

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 3:33 PM  

  • 466. Would that be called an adz?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 5:32 PM  

  • 470: Is a clinker grab for reaching inside fireboxes of steam boilers to remove solidified lumps of clinker.
    Clinker is a glass like substance, that is made up (if I remember rightly, not sure of the chemistry) of impurities from coal. Clinker will melt and flow like glass across the firebars in firebox and choke the fire of oxygen. Some types of coal would be worse than others, in fact notorious would be more appropriate. I would have been caught out many times in the past when out with our Traction Engine on the road. One minute steaming well, the next losing steam rapidly. Usually in a real difficult place to.

    By Anonymous Rich, at 9/30/2005 8:01 AM  

  • >466. Don't know it's proper name, used to make the flats on hand hewn beams.
    >468. tool to hold a tip on a cue stick ...

    >467 is an electric metronome

    >466. Would that be called an adz?

    These are all correct.

    >470: Is a clinker grab...

    Thanks for the info. On the answer sheet I was planning to post that it's a log grabber, for adding and removing logs in fires. But since this tool has probably been used by numerous professions I'll change the answer to "used for moving various things in and out of ovens and fires." There is a modern version of it for sale here:


    By Blogger Rob, at 9/30/2005 2:54 PM  

  • Where could I purchase the clinker grabber?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/09/2009 11:06 AM  

  • Several years ago someone sent me the photos of the one seen here, but if you do a search on "log grabber" you'll find some similar tools.

    By Blogger Rob H., at 10/09/2009 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home