What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

587. 7-1/4" tall

588. 5-3/8" long

The bracket can freely move to either side:

589. 2-5/8" long, made of ceramic, submitted by a reader of this site


591. 40" long, 4-1/4" diameter

Below the handle is an eyelet at the end of a long rod, the other end of which is attached to the stopper at the bottom, it can be raised a little more than half an inch.

1-1/2" diameter hole

592. 21" long



  • 587 - Explosive detonator box? (big guess!)
    589 - Keyhole cover?

    By Anonymous BlackBag, at 2/16/2006 5:42 AM  

  • 587. Model train "transformer" or speed & direction control. Looks like Lionel.
    590. Coin changer or change maker. Whichever you want to call it, hangs from your belt

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 2/16/2006 6:15 AM  

  • 587. Also think it is a model train transformer.
    590. Yes, Coin changer - L to R, quarters, dimes, nickles, pennies.
    592. Blowhorn stake (blacksmiths and tinsmiths) Used in metal stake plate on bench or in a stump.

    By Blogger canem, at 2/16/2006 6:29 AM  

  • 589 - Very similar in appearance to a fishing weight ("sinker"), but I've only seen them made of lead, not ceramic material. Maybe an "environmentally friendly" fishing weight to avoid lead pollution of the water???

    By Anonymous rfp, at 2/16/2006 7:00 AM  

  • 587 Lionel KW train transformer

    589 Black porcelain swing cover for a Victorian key hole.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/16/2006 6:13 PM  

  • Correct answers that have been posted so far:

    587. Lionel train transformer
    589. Keyhole cover
    590. Coin dispenser
    592. Blowhorn stake

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/17/2006 3:32 PM  

  • 591. Think when I was small the neighbor used one of these in his garden to dust potato plants or something similar.

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 2/17/2006 5:23 PM  

  • >591. ...to dust potato plants or something similar.

    I suppose it could be used for this, but it's not the answer that I'm looking for.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/17/2006 5:41 PM  

  • 591 A well bucket for drawing water from small diameter wells.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 11:16 PM  

  • >591 A well bucket...

    This answer is correct.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/18/2006 5:22 AM  

  • 588: a wire slitter, used primarily by telephone tech...'NYT', 'CON-ED'...side to side, for diff wire width, con-fig...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/18/2008 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home