What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Set 220

1227. 1-7/8" long, completely hollow, both end looks the same:

1228. 11" long:

1229. 5-1/2" long:

1230. 107" long:

Larger image

1231. 12" long, submitted by a visitor who is looking to identify this piece, made of ivory or bone:

1232. Another unidentified device sent in by a visitor:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.



  • 1228 - Slate Hammer..used by roofer to work with slate roofing; the thin section is to break the slate tiles.

    1229 - Special purpose spanner of some sort, maybe for a water filter cartridge etc.

    1231 - Just a letter opener

    By Blogger John Nicholas, at 2/21/2008 6:10 AM  

  • 1231 looks like a knife meant to cut pages in a book, for in XIX century most new books came with their pages uncut.

    like page 1-2 and 3-4 were the same piece of paper, just folded, you had to cut em with a special knife, usually an ivory one.

    By Blogger ie, at 2/21/2008 6:27 AM  

  • 1227 Smallest saw in a set of hole saws.

    By Blogger Canem, at 2/21/2008 6:36 AM  

  • 1227 is a broken screw extractor.
    1230 looks like it's a tool for transfering contours or curves from one place to another. It looks like you'd loosen all of the nuts, place the metal blade against whatever curve you are trying to capture, and then tighten down all the nuts, thus locking the tool into one shape.

    By Blogger Blaisepascal, at 2/21/2008 6:57 AM  

  • I agree with Blaise on both accounts.
    I've used similar screw extractors(1227), and curve duplicators(1230).
    1229. is a watch wrench for removing the back and sometimes the front bezel on some wristwatches.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 2/21/2008 8:34 AM  

  • 1231 i agree with both previous answers though i have also seen similar "knives" used for preparing animal skins. This one though doesn't look like it has enough wear.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2008 4:38 PM  

  • 1232--You might want to check with an old sheepshear on this one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2008 8:09 AM  

  • Oops - spelling correction
    1232--You might want to check with an old sheepshearer on this one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2008 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home