What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

527. 30" tall

528. Partial/close-up of something most people have seen before:

529. 7" long

530. 8" long

531. 5" tall

532. 14" long



  • 527. Some kind of press, mabee for fruit juice.
    528. Loose leaf binder ring.
    531. Oil can also called a "squirt oiler".

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 12/08/2005 6:42 AM  

  • 530 A can opener

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/08/2005 8:44 AM  

  • 527. apple cider press
    531. DDT or pesticide sprayer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/08/2005 10:07 AM  

  • 529. A digital tire pressure gauge
    532. A hook for handling dead fish

    By Anonymous Sawdust, at 12/08/2005 6:20 PM  

  • Agree with apple press and oiler.
    530. Looks like can opener to me.
    532. Boot hook?

    By Blogger canem, at 12/08/2005 7:23 PM  

  • 530. Jar opener

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/09/2005 2:36 AM  

  • 527 Fruit press or maybe cheese press
    529 pH meter
    531 Grease gun/oil can
    532 Longshoreman's hook.

    By Blogger Romulus Crowe, at 12/09/2005 7:46 AM  

  • >527. Some kind of press...
    >528. Loose leaf binder ring.
    >531. Oil can...

    All correct, though 527 was marked "wine press", but I'm sure it could be used for pressing other stuff. I'm not sure what the difference is between a lard, cheese, cider and a wine press.

    >530 A can opener


    >527. apple cider press

    Press is correct

    >531. DDT or pesticide sprayer

    >529. A digital tire pressure gauge
    >532. A hook for handling dead fish

    >530. Looks like can opener to me.
    >532. Boot hook?

    All incorrect, 532 is quite sharp on both sides.

    >530. Jar opener


    >527 Fruit press or maybe cheese press
    >529 pH meter
    >531 Grease gun/oil can


    >532 Longshoreman's hook.


    By Blogger Rob, at 12/09/2005 3:44 PM  

  • 527. Wine presses are usually wooden. All the stuff I read about winemaking is that you should never use metal in any part of the process as it affects the taste. I never do.

    By Blogger pa-ter, at 12/09/2005 8:26 PM  

  • 527 All of these smaller presses seem to have been referred to as fruit presses in old catalogs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2005 5:16 PM  

  • Thanks for the replies, I'm going to change my answer to lard or fruit press.

    By Blogger Rob, at 12/10/2005 5:44 PM  

  • 532. nose piercer for cattle

    By Blogger Kris, at 12/12/2005 12:41 PM  

  • >532. nose piercer for cattle

    Nope, that's not it.

    By Blogger Rob, at 12/12/2005 1:23 PM  

  • 529. digital thermometer often used in industrial kitchens. Andy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2005 3:30 PM  

  • 527. Sorry to be coming into this so late. This sort of press is better suited to removing oil from olives than juice from fruit.

    - Edward

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2005 4:55 AM  

  • 535. A terminal cleaner for your car battery.

    By Blogger Goose, at 12/16/2005 3:46 PM  

  • 527. paint can mixer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/16/2005 10:32 PM  

  • 534. Fishing Sinker.
    Looks like an early version of a spiked sinker.
    The wires hold the sinker in one place on the seabed, when the line is reeled in, the wires release 180 degrees, allowing the sinker to be reeled in without the wires dragging/snagging on the seabed.
    More modern sinkers have small plastic tubes or beads to keep the wires in place.

    By Blogger tunsty, at 12/17/2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home