What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Set #133

774. 14" long

775. The case is 33" long, thanks to Nicholas for submitting these photos:

Click here to see a larger version of this image.

9" long

This instrument can be assembled in many different configurations, two of which are seen below:

776. 6-3/4" long

777. 6-1/2" long, thanks to Joe for sending in this one:

778. 5-3/4" long, the puzzle here is to name the purpose of the roller on this Bell System cutter:

779. 35" long


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:


  • 775. Draftsman's tool used to repeat curves, similer to the more modern "spline"
    776. Hoop Set, used by coopers to drive hoop tight on wooden barrels and buckets.
    779. Gaff from commercial fishing boat.

    By Blogger canem, at 9/21/2006 8:42 AM  

  • 775. I agree with canem, and will add that it is for transferring curves from existing objects, not just drawings. Nice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/21/2006 3:39 PM  

  • One correct answer so far, 776 is a barrel maker's hoop driver.

    By Blogger Rob, at 9/22/2006 12:46 PM  

  • 774 - Some sort of wood carving chisel or gouge.

    775 - Trammel point set??

    By Anonymous rfp, at 9/22/2006 1:39 PM  

  • >774 - Some sort of wood carving chisel or gouge.

    >775 - Trammel point set??

    Neither of these is correct.

    By Blogger Rob, at 9/22/2006 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home