What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Set 198

1091. 4-1/2" long, over 2000 years old:

1092. 3-1/8" tall:

1093. 5-3/4" tall, patented in 1875:

1094. 3-5/8" long, an unidentified piece of hardware:

1095. 3" diameter, invented in 1947:

1096. 4-3/4" long, patented in the 1890's, more guesses and another chance to win a Free Live! Pro Webcam by Creative at Neatorama:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1095 - Knife sharpener

    By Anonymous kr81021, at 9/20/2007 5:55 AM  

  • 1092 is a current transformer, commonly known as a "CT". It is usually used to measure AC amps.

    1095 is a knife sharpener

    By Anonymous Dave, at 9/20/2007 8:18 AM  

  • 1091-Razor
    1092-Tool magnetizer
    1093-Paper punch
    1094-Draw latch
    1095-Knife sharpener
    1096-Sandwich toaster?

    By Anonymous Yupper, at 9/20/2007 10:36 AM  

  • 1092. is a coil for monitoring amperage in a line which goes through the hole.
    1095. everyone's right...knife sharpener.
    1094. It looks like it's for hanging something with a wire handle...like a bucket.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 9/20/2007 10:52 AM  

  • 1091 - a knife for spreading or
    some sort of key
    1093 - leather hole punch
    1095 - knife sharpener
    1096 - a mold or a tea leaf holder

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2007 12:09 PM  

  • 1093. Looks more like a rivet set than a punch. The containers on either side were made to hold something.

    - Edward

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2007 4:01 PM  

  • 1091 is a kind of ancient Chinese money or currency.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2007 7:35 PM  

  • 1094-used for hanging items on an overhead cable conveyor, such as a paint line, part washer line or perhaps used in a commercial laundry. you can attach it to a cable by holding it to the cable with the hooks parallel to the cable and twisting clockwise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2007 11:54 PM  

  • Correct answers so far:

    1091. Chinese knife money
    1092. Current transformer
    1093. Paper punch
    1095. Knife sharpener

    By Blogger Rob, at 9/21/2007 4:08 AM  

  • 1096-Teabag Squeezer?

    By Anonymous Yupper, at 9/21/2007 8:30 AM  

  • 1096-Ravioli maker?

    By Anonymous Yupper, at 9/21/2007 8:41 AM  

  • 1096-Pierogi Press?

    By Anonymous Yupper, at 9/21/2007 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home