What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Set 194

The first three this week are unidentified tools that were sent in by visitors.

1067. 5" long, text on it reads:"8-2/0", "M&T" and "RM=00":

1068. 12-1/2" long:

1069. This one was found in a second hand shop in Omaha, Nebraska; here is the owner's description of it:
It is made of wood, 47-1/2" long, top 11" is 7-1/2" around and the rest is 5-1/2" around. There is a wooden plug (that has a 7/8" hole in it) that goes into a 1-1/4" hole that goes thru to the bottom where there appears to be a marble. The bottom has a 1/4" criss cross 1/4" deep. Inside there is a 1/2" wooden dowel 44" long. Also 4" from the top there is a 1-3/8" hole on one side.

1070. 50" long:

A similar tool except that the jaws are angled:

1071. 3-1/2" long as seen in this first photo:

1072. 6-3/4" long, for more guesses on this device take a look at Neatorama.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.



  • 1067 is a grounding clamp like the ones used by electric company line men

    By Anonymous Dave, at 8/23/2007 8:00 AM  

  • 1072 is a fish scaler

    By Anonymous tosh, at 8/23/2007 9:36 AM  

  • 1070 - Fuse puller/inserter?

    By Blogger BikerRay, at 8/23/2007 11:25 AM  

  • 1068 thread cleaner for scrw breech artillery?
    1069 a nonsparking sampling probe?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/23/2007 1:29 PM  

  • 1071 A timber scriber jack knife, for marking wood.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/23/2007 4:32 PM  

  • #1068 is a camera tripod. The round disc at the one end is what clamps to the bottom of the camera, the shaft is both what attaches to the bottom of the camera, and is used for the leg extension. The bottom rotates to extend the legs to a seated position. When not in use, it rotates the legs up to close.

    By Anonymous Smiling_eyes_guy, at 8/23/2007 6:39 PM  

  • Correct answers so far:

    1070. Fuse puller

    1071. Timber scribe

    1072. Fish scaler

    I'm still researching the first three.

    By Blogger Rob, at 8/24/2007 8:36 AM  

  • 1069 is a wine thief for pulling wine from the cask to put into a smaller vessel.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/24/2007 10:42 AM  

  • >1069 is a wine thief...

    Thanks! Sounds like this is probably correct.

    By Blogger Rob, at 8/24/2007 11:05 AM  

  • What a collection! Really amazing one.

    My blogs:

    By Anonymous Puzzles, at 8/26/2007 12:36 PM  

  • 1068 is a extract hub. Direct translation from arrache-moyeux in french.
    It's used in mechanics to extract a circular piece that has been push in a conical whole, the wheel center for example.
    This one seems designed for a particular use since the 3 grips have a special shape.

    By Blogger pierre, at 8/27/2007 8:03 AM  

  • 1068 is used to pull bearings or gears off a shaft.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 5/15/2008 4:34 PM  

  • 1068

    There is a pic of how 1068 works.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 5/15/2008 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home