What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Set 221

1233. 8-1/2" long:

1234. 4-1/4" diameter, take a look at Neatorama for more guesses on this one.

Larger image

Larger image

The last four in this set were all submitted by visitors who are looking to identify them.

1235. 10" long, brought to the U.S. in the late 1800's from Germany:

1236. 12" long, sent in from South Africa, a blown glass tubing system with traps and siphons, it is filled with a dark brown liquid, and has what appears to be an electrical connection:

Larger image

Close-up image

1237. There is a light inside the barrel shaped part, an alligator clip on one end and a 23" wand with an electrical contact on the other, text on it reads "Abilities Inc. 7-78":

1238. 10-1/2" long x 6" tall, weighs 6 pounds:

Previously seen on this site:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1235. Mortar & pestle missing it's base.
    1238. Perhaps a bevel cutter for wood trim or molding.

    By Blogger Canem, at 2/28/2008 6:41 AM  

  • 1238. looks like a rabbiting plane to me.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 2/28/2008 8:18 AM  

  • 1236. looks like a manometer of some sort. If you put it on the wall with "U" Portion at the bottom, it will look more correct. (I think)

    1238. I agree, it looks like a rabbiting plane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2008 10:56 AM  

  • 1237. This is a 'B' voltage tester. This was used in the telephone industry for installers to check for foreign voltage on items such as mobile home frames, or anything metallic, that might be energized by voltage. Take the alligator clip and attach it to a ground rod or screwdriver driven into the ground and take the long stick portion and touch the item being tested. You then look into the "barrel" looking object and if the item being tested is "charged", a light inside will glow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2008 11:30 AM  

  • I agree that 1236 is a manometer, and I'll guess that the electrical bit is there to trigger an alarm or indicator for pressure differential. We have a similar (albeit more modern looking) device in our paint-booth.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 2/29/2008 8:30 AM  

  • 1238. The angle is too steep for beign a rabbiting plane, and there's no sole projecting beyong the blade. To me, looks too techincal and mechanical to be a woodworking tool.. maybe a plane for some other kind of material?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/29/2008 9:58 AM  

  • >I agree that 1236 is a manometer...

    This device appears to be sealed, wouldn't it need to have an opening to measure atmospheric pressure?

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/29/2008 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home