What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Set 238

1338. This device has been sitting on someone's mantle for years but no one knows what it's for, take a look at Neatorama for more guesses on it.

1339. 5" long:

1340. 9" long:

From Stan Seevers' collection

1341. Another unidentified piece submitted by a visitor, the tray at the bottom can be rotated but the small container can't be removed:

1342. 4" long:

1343. One more unidentified device sent in by a reader of this site, the part on the right is 3" long:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1342. Exhaust pipe expander

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2008 4:55 AM  

  • 1338. If there's a vacuum inside it could be a triode tube.

    I agree with the pipe expander answer.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 6/26/2008 7:18 AM  

  • 1339: Tool for marking dovetail joints (woodworking).

    By Anonymous mvk, at 6/26/2008 7:33 AM  

  • 1343: sampler of some kind? Since it's brass and we had Naval navigation tools the last two weeks, I'm guessing a bottom sampler.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/2008 12:16 PM  

  • 1341. It look to me like a mount for an old "Newton" type telescope. Not exactly like this original Newton┬┤s telescope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NewtonsTelescopeReplica.jpg) but close.

    The holes in the tray are for keep the eye pieces.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/29/2008 1:31 AM  

  • 1342 is a pip expander for fitting. That tool is still used today.
    1338 is used to either measure capacitance or static charge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/01/2008 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home