What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Set 136

793. 9" long

794. 42" tall

795. 5/8" x 5/8" x 11-1/4", not sure exactly what this one is; turning the end piece slowly raises the inner parts:

After 2-1/4 revolutions, the first piece is fully raised:

Another 2-1/2 turns for the second:

And the same for the third:

I made this drawing to show the inside parts, turning the screw forces the cylinders into the trapezoidal pieces, which raises them up:

796. Partial/close-up shot:

797. 7-1/2" long, patented Oct. 9, 1883:

798. 3-1/4" long, the owner of this pocket knife is looking to find out if it was made for a particular purpose:


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:


  • 794 dictaphone

    By Blogger jerry, at 10/12/2006 4:54 AM  

  • 795 bench dog

    By Blogger jerry, at 10/12/2006 4:55 AM  

  • 796. telephone plug.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2006 7:25 AM  

  • 796 RJ11 connector for telecommunications devices, most commonly used for standard telephone lines.

    By Blogger Bob Dively, at 10/12/2006 10:11 AM  

  • 794 An Ediphone made by Thomas A. Edison Co. and like Jerry posted it is for recording dictation on special cylinder records.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2006 1:55 PM  

  • 797 ties a knot in string.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2006 11:09 PM  

  • >794 dictaphone

    >794 An Ediphone...

    Correct, it's an Ediphone dictation machine

    >795 bench dog

    Sounds like it could be the right answer.

    >796. telephone plug.

    >796 RJ11 connector...


    >797 ties a knot in string.

    I'm not sure if this multi-tuol is for tying knots, I haven't found the patent page for it yet.

    By Blogger Rob, at 10/13/2006 4:09 AM  

  • I'm going to be away from my computer until Saturday afternoon, I'll post the answer page when I get back.

    By Blogger Rob, at 10/13/2006 4:16 AM  

  • 795 - looks like a chase lock for a printing press

    By Anonymous Mark, at 10/13/2006 12:42 PM  

  • >795 - looks like a chase lock for a printing press

    Thanks, your comment helped solve this one, please see the answer page for the patent info.

    By Blogger Rob, at 10/14/2006 5:26 PM  

  • Clapboard gauge by Stanley, early 1900s

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2014 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home