What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Set 200

This post could be my most difficult set so far, the only one that I know the answer to is number 1106.

1103. 2-1/2" long:

The owner got this at a flea market years ago where he was told it was part of a kit for a car. There used to be writing on the green side and a horizontal line across the middle of it. The object is completely sealed.

1104. Found in Illinois:

1105. 6" diameter, submitted from Texas:

In the center hole is a wood ball with shallow grooves running from one end to the other, it spins and seems to be on an axle to keep it at the height of the opening. The lid does not come off.

1106. 9-1/2" tall:

1107. 9" long, from New Hampshire, the upper part can be rotated to the left about 135 degrees:

Larger image

Larger image

1108. 7" long:

Larger image

The owner's description:

I obtained this at a store in Australia, the manager just called it a "Thing". No one knows what it's used for. It is well made, from steel, and the tube has been blued on the outside like a rifle barrel. The plunger and block are slip fit into the tube bore and made air-tight with the "O" rings. Air is exhausted through the tiny holes either end of the tube when the plunger slides into it. The knurled grip knob has been welded to the plunger shaft. It has not been used as a punch because there are no hammer marks on the plunger knob end, also the rubber mounted pin would not be strong enough to take the punching force. Why has it got outer "O" rings on the tube? When assembled the plunger pin just protrudes out the block pin hole and can slide in and out.


Larger image

Five more annotated photos:






To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1105. Container holds liquid which is picked up by grooved wood ball and applied to something pulled across top surface of ball. Filled through smaller hole.
    1106. I'd use it as a nutcracker.
    Tough week!

    By Blogger Canem, at 10/04/2007 9:41 AM  

  • 1104. A special brace to allow one to kneel for long periods?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2007 11:43 AM  

  • 1108 Some sort of powder actuated tool (PAT). Essentially they work like a gun to drive a nail (or some object) into concrete. Not sure of the specific use of this one.

    O-rings... maybe for an extension to divert the exhaust (exhaust baffle).

    On other side perhaps for different
    extensions (maybe to drive something that's down a hole)


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2007 4:06 PM  

  • 1103-Driver training Aid?Like a G force indicator?
    1104-Human leg brace-Polio?
    1105-Finger wetter,filled with water and used to wet fingertip when working with papers.
    1106-Metal Grommet/rivet press?Or specialty vise.
    1107-Underwater grapple or anchor?
    1108-Don't think it's complete,maybe part of something larger.

    By Anonymous Yupper, at 10/05/2007 12:40 AM  

  • 1103 - I'll take a stab at it...
    A puzzle: It looks like the device should be more stable when it is sitting on the red end, but it isn't.
    The distance from the tube side to the nearest edge of the red or green end appears to be about the same, but as the balls are different sizes, the center of gravity is higher when it's sitting on the red end, hence making it easier to tip.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/05/2007 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home