What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Set 223

1245. 15" long:

Larger image

Larger image

1246. 10" long:

Another variation of the same tool:

1247. 21" long, the two handles can be rotated 360 degrees:

Larger image

From Jack Devitt's collection

1248. 20" long:

1249. 6" long, take a look at Neatorama for more guesses on this piece:

1250. 10" long:

Previously seen on this site:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1245. looks like a measureing device for rope, probably missing its guage or indicator, used in hardware stores

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2008 4:52 AM  

  • 1245. This is a measuring device for rope, and the length indicator is the wheel with numbers and the arrow.
    1246. Early type setters "stick" for holding type?
    1250. Trap, maybe for a mouse.

    By Blogger Canem, at 3/13/2008 6:39 AM  

  • 1248. Is a map or plat holder. It hooks into a rack to hang a bunch of large maps or plats vertically for storage.

    1250. An old shoe shine box.

    By Blogger ScotchDrnkr, at 3/13/2008 6:43 AM  

  • 1246 is a bookbinder's type pallet or lettering pallet--holds a line of brass type so it can be heated and then impressed on the spine of a book. The version without a handle is probably meant to go in a stamping press.

    By Anonymous ghgoebel, at 3/13/2008 9:32 AM  

  • 1247-Manhole cover lifter?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2008 9:49 AM  

  • 1250 looks like it could be an animal trap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2008 10:17 AM  

  • 1248 is a blueprint stick. It clamps the edges of a stack of blueprints together so that they are bound together so the prints open like a book.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 3/13/2008 3:15 PM  

  • Correct answers so far:

    1245. Rope measurer

    1246. Bookbinder's lettering pallet

    1248. Holder for large drawings or maps, used with a vertical file

    1250. Mouse trap


    1247 is used as a lifter, but not for manhole covers

    By Blogger Rob, at 3/13/2008 3:52 PM  

  • 1247 looks like a seal puller for different size seals

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2008 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home