What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Set 226

1263. 30" long, submitted by a visitor who is looking to identify this one, the owner found it when he was walking in the Ocala Forest area of Florida and his boot was snagged by the hook:

There is a crown at the top and the letters CN at the bottom:

1264. 6" tall, from 1970:

Photo by Simon

1265. 10" long:

1266. 20" long:

The cap has a threaded hole in the end and can be pulled out from the main part:

1267. Approximately 8"-10" long, this piece is completely hollow and open on the left end, patented in the 1880's:

Larger image

1268. 12" long:

Previously seen on this site:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1264: A cartridge for a very short, wide bit of mag tape. So I'm guessing it stores commercials for TV stations.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2008 7:55 AM  

  • 1264 - Agree on tape cassette.
    1265 - Ice shaver.
    1266 - Sample collector perhaps from wells.

    By Blogger Canem, at 4/03/2008 8:12 AM  

  • 1266 - I'm guessing it's a plumb bob of some kind.
    1267 - It looks like a film squeegee, but the 1880s are a little early to need one of those.

    By Blogger Jason, at 4/03/2008 10:41 AM  

  • 1264: a 'film strip cartridge'. The filmstrip was like a film based version of the viewmaster (or a very early version of powerpoint)

    By Blogger Dave, at 4/03/2008 1:41 PM  

  • 1268 - Bricklayer's hammer? Chisel end for cutting bricks, ridge on top for dressing joints.

    By Anonymous Fawteen, at 4/03/2008 4:13 PM  

  • Correct answers so far:

    1264. Video tape cartridge for commercials

    1265. Ice chipper/shaver

    1266. Sample collector, though it's not for use in wells

    By Blogger Rob, at 4/04/2008 9:30 AM  

  • 1263: ceremonial mace? Maybe from a school?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/04/2008 11:38 AM  

  • 1263 looks to me like something that could be used to place rings on posts high on a wall (the pommel would balance and steady the weight of the shaft + load as the user lifts it and places it precisely). I'm imagining a hotel clerk or valet placing keyrings... maybe used in an auction or horse racing house to place small ID tags or betting chits?

    By Blogger Brendan Keough, at 4/07/2008 9:57 PM  

  • 1263 is, actually quite obviously, a spindle, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_(textiles)

    or http://www.interweave.com/spin/resources/spinning_brochures/lo_tech.pdf

    you might do wikipedia do a great favour by uploading your photograph as wikipedia seems to be lacking a proper illustration.

    By Blogger ke, at 4/11/2008 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home