What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Set 240

1351. 11" long, from the 1860's:

Larger image

1352. About 42" tall, shot on the deck of the ship seen in the second photo below:

1353. 4.7" diameter, submitted by a visitor who is looking to identify it, the hole diameters are: 0.383", 0.486", 0.571", 0.713", 0.901", 1.125", and 1.356"; it was found in England, and the text on it reads "imperial standard":

1354. 2-5/8" tall, I bought this over a year ago and just last week found out what it's for:

1355. 6" long:

1356. 14" long:

These are both from Scotty Fulton's collection.

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 1352. Windlass for raising anchor.
    1354. Some sort of struck swage.
    1355. Engravers hand peg vise - missing pegs.
    1356. Someone who didn't want to mess with rulers stamped these hammers to save time perhaps.

    By Blogger Canem, at 7/10/2008 6:47 AM  

  • 1353. (Forgot one) Probably a drill gauge used in British Empire when Imperial Standard was the system of measure.

    By Blogger Canem, at 7/10/2008 7:03 AM  

  • The ship looks similar to the Kalmar Nyckel out of Wilmington, DE.

    By Blogger mooP, at 7/10/2008 8:57 AM  

  • It's the U.S. Brig Niagara, in Erie, Pa.

    By Blogger Rob, at 7/11/2008 4:46 PM  

  • 1353. I am sorry to keep coming late to the party. The cube of each of the holes is approximately double of the one just smaller. In other words, the volume of a sphere that will just pass through one hole is double the volume of a sphere that will pass through the next smaller one.

    I think this is some sort of shot sizing tool, but cannot quickly find any online reference for confirmation.

    - Edward

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2008 7:05 PM  

  • 1353 Perhaps it's a pasta measure. One serving of pasta is 2.25 circumference or 0.716 but I would think it would be marked by serving. Anyhoo just my 2ยข

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/16/2008 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home