What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

394. A partial shot of something fairly common.







395. 9-1/2" tall







396. Name the purpose of this 9"W x 13"L x 6"T metal box.






397. 3" long





398. 34" long










399. 14-3/4" long








Answers

6 Comments:

  • 396 Designed for shipping eggs safely. Originally each pocket would have had a wad of excelsior packing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2005 10:32 AM  

  • >394. water/lawn sprinkler
    >395. smoker for bee hives
    >399. soldering iron

    >398: Seed Planter...

    >396 Designed for shipping eggs safely...

    These are all correct.

    Rob

    By Blogger Rob H., at 7/08/2005 3:18 PM  

  • It's amazing all of the different tools and gadgets that people invented and produced! Cool site.

    BTW, on 395. (Bee Smoker), where is the connection between (what I assume is) the bellows and the smoker part?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2005 10:19 PM  

  • >BTW, on 395. (Bee Smoker), where is the connection between (what I assume is) the bellows and the smoker part?

    Yes, they are supposed to connect near the bottom but I'm missing that piece.

    Rob

    By Blogger Rob H., at 7/09/2005 12:20 PM  

  • None of the bee smokers I've seen have a connection between the bellows and the pot. The holes are aligned so the puff of air mostly gets to the pot anyway. I suppose this is done so that pot gets air even when then bellows aren't being pumped, and so that heat doesn't conduct into the bellows and ruin them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/15/2005 3:05 PM  

  • >None of the bee smokers I've seen have a connection...

    Thanks for the info, I thought it was missing a piece.

    By Blogger Rob H., at 7/15/2005 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home