What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Set 202

1115. 7" long:

Larger image

1116. 8" long, from the 1860's, more guesses on this device can be found at Neatorama:

Larger image

1117. 10" long:

-Parts A, B, and C are connected and move as one piece.
-Part D is connected to handle 1, see second photo.
-To operate, hold handle 1 with the right hand, and turn handle 2 with the left, 2 will make contact with A, causing shaft C to rotate, handle 2 will next strike B, rotating C in the opposite direction.
-Continuous turning of the handle results in a back and forth rotation of shaft C.
Larger image

1118. 12" long:

Larger image

Larger image

1119. 6-1/2" long:

When the handles are fully compressed there is a 1/4" gap between the jaws, they are 5/8" apart in this photo.

1120. 9-1/2" long:

1121. 6" long, submitted by a visitor:


To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.



  • 110(?)5: Telegraph key. Sideways paddles are actually prefererd by many CW operators. Pushing it in one direction sends dots and in the other direction sends dashes.

    1118: A plane for the tips of shovel (or other tool) handles?

    1121: The business end of an in-store crane or lifting device? Or one of those "grab a toy" machines? It looks like it hangs directly below a double drum windlass. The scoop/claw/hook that would have attached to the bottom is missing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2007 6:49 AM  

  • 1105- (or is it 1115?) Vibroplex telegraph "bug" from the very early 1900's.

    1118-a plane for dowels?

    1121- center pully for a clothesline?

    By Blogger Canem, at 10/18/2007 6:58 AM  

  • 1105. Like anonymous said, telegraph key.
    1116. Some kind of combination lock.
    1117. Butter churn works?
    1118. I agree with canem,..dowel or spoke sizer.
    1120. Meter cover wrench?
    1121. Overhead delivery cable trolley.

    By Blogger Stewart, at 10/18/2007 7:52 AM  

  • 1118 A tenoner for dowels or possibly buggy wheel spokes.
    1120 A valve lapping tool for early automobile engines.
    1121 Possibly part of the lowering mechanism for a kerosene chandelier.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2007 8:53 AM  

  • 1116 A counter from a store cash drawer to tally how many times it was opened.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2007 9:01 AM  

  • 1115 (05) - A Vibroplex 'bug', but it only automatically sends dits. The dahs were made manually.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2007 12:38 PM  

  • 1119 Looks like a crimper for lead tamper seals.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 10/18/2007 4:00 PM  

  • Correct answers so far:

    1115. Vibroplex telegraph key
    1116. Counter
    1120. Valve lapping tool
    1121. Overhead cash carrier

    By Blogger Rob, at 10/19/2007 9:05 AM  

  • 1118 is a tool to cut down wooden surfaces or edges waving it back and forth. I don't know how it's called in english, in catalan we call it Ribot.

    By Blogger Snale, at 10/19/2007 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home