What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Set 154

Welcome readers of bookofjoe.com

884. Approximately 10" x 6":

885. The smaller ones are about 2" wide:

886. 12-1/2" long, more guesses on this tool can be found on Neatorama:

887. 7" long, submitted by a visitor:

888. 9-1/4" long, the purpose of this device is unknown:

In this photo, the end is being pushed against a table top:

889. 13" long x 2-1/2" wide, another unidentified tool sent in by a visitor, the center section contains a glass plate with graduations marked on it that range from 0 to 20 at 1 cm intervals, also with marks indicating millimeters. There is an adjustment knob opposite the dial that moves the glass plate and its frame.

The knob rotates very smoothly and the max range of movement of the frame is about 3.5 mm. The dial indicator changes based upon the pressure applied by the frame on the glass plate.
The only markings on the case are" Kirem" and "Koinzidenz - MaBstab" and on the face of the dial indicator it reads "Carl Mahr esslingen aN" [sic].


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 886. Used to reshape the working end of a drill rod when heated in the forge. It is held in place and struck with a sledge, not swung like a hammer.

    By Blogger canem, at 1/25/2007 9:52 AM  

  • 884- washing tub scrub board

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2007 10:57 AM  

  • 889."Carl Mahr esslingen" was/is a manufacturer of micrometers,and other such precision tools.
    "Kirem"is a city
    "Koinzidenz - MaBstab"translates to Coincidence-Yardstick.Numbers appear to be a model(TYP940) and prolly a serial or calibration number(8376).Only thing I could see was that it might be a calibration tool for dial indicators like the one attached?

    By Anonymous JoeK, at 1/26/2007 8:27 PM  

  • No. 888 is used to assemble the DeLaval 03 inflation (liner) into the DeLaval shell. It was my Saturday morning job for years as a boy, and I used the pictured tool thousands of times!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/14/2007 9:51 AM  

  • >No. 888 is used to assemble the DeLaval 03...

    Thanks, I'll pass this answer on to the owner of it.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/14/2007 7:17 PM  

  • >No. 888 is used to assemble the DeLaval 03...

    Could you give some more information on how this tool is used? I couldn't find any details or photos of the DeLaval 03 on the web.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/18/2007 5:50 PM  

  • 889 I have serial no 8374 of this measuring device. We think it might be for measurement of line spectra on film strips based on the lab it was found in at work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2008 2:17 PM  

  • 887 - I'm not sure, but this looks like a flechette - a type of dart that was dropped from airplanes onto troops during WWI.

    By Blogger Kenneth, at 11/19/2009 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home