What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Set 169

977. 3-1/2" long:

From Jim Brown's collection.

978. 5-1/2" long, submitted by a visitor:

979. 12-1/2" long:

980. 5-1/4" long, held closed by a spring:

981. 11-1/2" long, compressing the handles opens the jaws at both ends:

For more guesses on this device take a look at Neatorama, where Alex is offering two t-shirts as prizes, one for the first correct answer and another for the most humorous guess.

982. 7" long, from the mid 1800's, this is a particular style of knife that is still available today:


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 978. Valve spring compressor (automotive)
    982. Throwing knife

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2007 5:04 AM  

  • 982. Arkansas "toothpick"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2007 7:21 AM  

  • #978 gear puller or sterring wheel remover

    #979 farriers hammer - used for removing and attaching horseshoes to a horse. The pick end is used for cleaning hooves.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2007 10:03 AM  

  • 978. valve spring compressor
    982. skein dubh-Scottish boot dagger

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2007 10:30 AM  

  • 977. shingle splitter attachment for a claw hammer
    979. German style "Latthammer" Estwing makes a modern version viewable in their international hammers section (incidentally, asian pattern hammers are very interesting)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2007 8:56 PM  

  • 978 is an automotive valve spring compressor. i have one like it.

    By Blogger scavengerdog, at 5/10/2007 10:24 PM  

  • >979. German style "Latthammer"...

    Thanks, I hadn't been able to find any info on this hammer until I searched using this term.

    Check out the answer page for more info on the rest of this week's set.

    By Blogger Rob, at 5/11/2007 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home