What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Set 155

890. 12-7/8" long:

This is a salesman's sample, so the actual device would have been larger.

891. 3" long, the first correct answer for this one wins a t-shirt from Neatorama.

The lower piece can freely move up or down:

892. The wheel shape has a diameter of 4-1/2", submitted by a visitor:

893. Another visitor sent in this unidentified piece of hardware, he discovered it in his front yard in Florida when removing some plants. The ends appear to be copper and the shaft is a hollow tube of fiberglass, 14-3/4" long:

894a. 12" in length, along with naming this tool, also describe the purpose of the ring attached to the side:

It's hollow from the base of the wedge at least up to the hole seen in the third photo:

894b. 14" long, used in a similar manner as the previous tool, hollow from the bottom up to the small hole in the side; additionally, describe why there is a red cloth attached with a chain:

895a. 10" long:

895b. 9-1/2" long, another version of the same device:


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.


  • 895 coin scale

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 5:44 AM  

  • 893 is a fuse from a power pole (before the transformer that feeds your house - the fuse is on a line of around 6kv, fused at around 10 amps)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 6:40 AM  

  • 892 - Cork (stopper) roller used in labs and pharmacies.

    By Anonymous rfp, at 2/01/2007 7:35 AM  

  • 893. is a lawn sprinkler head

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 8:30 AM  

  • 890 A transom window operator. The only thing shortened here is the length of the operating rod. Unit was installed vertically on a door frame to operate the window above. This one looks to be made by Sterling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 8:49 AM  

  • 891- sink stopper

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 10:40 AM  

  • 894. Look like syrup taps to me. My experience is with maple syrup, but these might be intended for other saps, such as rubber. Here's the rub, I am used to seeing hooks on the taps for holding buckets, not permanent attachment devices like eyelets and chains.

    - Edward

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2007 10:42 AM  

  • 892.
    rfp's answer is correct...it is a cork laboratory stopper (not for rubber stoppers)conditioner/squeezer/roller to make the stopper more flexible and/or reduce size to fit. It is the laboratory companion of the brass cork borer set and brass cork borer sharpener presented in previous posts.

    By Anonymous mikebob, at 2/01/2007 7:58 PM  

  • Three of them have been answered correctly, please see the answer page for more details.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2/02/2007 6:48 PM  

  • 894a and 894b are blackpowder wood splitters. The force of the blast splits the wood. Actually, the one WITHOUT the wedge does a better job. The little holes are for cannon fuse and the rings on the side are for tying a line with a flag so they can be found after shooting off. I have a replica I made and have used.

    By Anonymous Rifleman1776, at 2/07/2007 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home