What is it?

I've been collecting unusual objects for quite a while, and several years ago I started posting them on this site as puzzles for visitors to figure out what they are. Most of the items are mine but a few belong to others, if you aren't interested in tools there are plenty of other type objects that have also been posted.

For first time visitors I recommend this archive for a wide variety of some of my best pieces.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Set 208

1154. These drills were made for a particular purpose:

Larger image

1155. Submitted by a visitor who is looking to identify this tool:

Larger image

1156. Appoximately 3" tall:

1157. 1-3/8" inside diameter, more guesses on this one at Neatorama:

1158. 22" long, patented in 1897:

Larger image

1159. 8-3/4" long:

To submit photos, click on the profile link at the upper right to find my email address.


Last week's set is seen below, click here to view the entire post:

More discussion and comments on these photos can be found at the newsgroup rec.puzzles.



  • 1157 has got to be either a bottle capper or opener

    By Blogger Thomas Exciting, at 11/29/2007 5:48 AM  

  • 1155 looks like a hair curling iron

    By Blogger BikerRay, at 11/29/2007 6:18 AM  

  • 1155. tire groover, cuts tread into racing or truck tires
    1157. cutter for foil caps over the corks in wine bottles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2007 6:39 AM  

  • 1154. For drilling mortises or peg holes in in construction. For old fashioned post and beam or log construction.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2007 7:52 AM  

  • It's a Bris-device! They prune wieners with it!

    By Blogger Pieter Pauwels, at 11/29/2007 8:32 AM  

  • 1157 is a trimmer for candles. it makes groves in the bottom of a candle to make them fit different size candle holders.

    By Blogger Bob Tomasso, at 11/29/2007 8:59 AM  

  • 1154. Timber framing drill for post and beam construction.
    1156. For starting fire with bow and stick??
    1157. Agree that it cuts foil over corks on wine bottles.

    By Blogger Canem, at 11/29/2007 9:19 AM  

  • 1157 is an egg opener
    it is meant for taking the top part of soft boiled eggs so you can dip your toast in it :)

    By Blogger Patrick, at 11/29/2007 12:26 PM  

  • 1156 - Pocket watch stand. You set it up on your bed stand or table, and put your pocket watch in it while not wearing it. Makes it into a little "clock", and lets the watch run better (cheaper watches run best in the "as worn" position.)

    1157 - Patrick is right. Removes the tops of eggs. You put your soft boiled egg in an egg cup, cut the top off, and eat the egg right out of the shell.

    Mike Solinas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2007 1:01 PM  

  • 1159 A gauge glass cutter. Probably a Chesterton's Patent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2007 4:33 PM  

  • 1159 is a glass tubing cutter. I used to use one like this to cut sight glass tubes for checking steam boiler water levels.

    1157 is indeed used to cut the tops of boiled eggs.

    By Anonymous kip, at 11/29/2007 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home